Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Broken Ground by Val McDermid





Broken Ground by Val McDermid is part five of the Karen Pirie series. I had no problems following the events or the relationships presented in Broken Groud. The author gives readers enough that the novel works fine as a stand-alone. DCI Karen Pirie of Police Scotland's Historic Cases Unit is good at her job. With Karen deeply involved in three separate cases, I worried the plot would suffer from overload. Honestly, at times it did to a degree. However, the mysteries unfold in a way that kept me intrigued. I felt sympathy and remorse for the victims and was eager for the DCI to bring them justice.

Intelligent and strong-willed, Karen is a female protagonist I enjoy. Despite the loss of a loved one, Karen retains healthy relationships with those around her. She even gets the opportunity to explore a new one. Karen is proud of her job. She gives it her best and expects the same from her team. Confronted with the constant condemnation from her direct supervisor, eventually leads to a gratifying encounter between the two.

Overall, Broken Ground was an enjoyable crime mystery novel. As previously stated, I did get slightly bogged down by the multiple plots, but it was never so much I did not enjoy the novel. I would recommend this story to those looking for a decent mystery from abroad. I was granted an ARC copy of this book by Grove Atlantic, through NetGalley, for my honest opinion. I encourage all readers to reach their own conclusions.



Amazon Link

No comments:

Post a Comment