Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Saturday, January 19, 2019

Dark Alpha's Awakening by Donna Grant




 ABOUT THE BOOK 



There is no escaping a Reaper. I am an elite assassin, part of a brotherhood that only answers to Death. And when Death says your time is up, I’m coming for you…



Serving Death and the Reapers has been my life for centuries. I’ve always put my duty before everything, even my yearning for Death. But now, she’s fading – our foe is bent on destroying her and he will stop at nothing until he does. Death holds the key to our survival. I will do everything in my power to stop her from disappearing. For her, I will ensure we have the best fighting chance. For her…I will cross the divide keeping us apart.



This is a full length Reaper novel.





 REVIEW 

The Reaper novel I have been most looking forward to is Dark Alpha's Awakening. Cael and Erith's romance has been building over the past six books of the series. I appreciate a gradual romance. Stolen moments, whispered desires, sly glances, it is all very intense this way. The payoff, in the end, is better for it.


Erith is a bada** chick, one of the best heroines in Donna Grant's world. Her origin story was quite interesting and makes sense with what has been revealed of her so far. Erith fears losing control of her power, which keeps her from forming a deep bond with Cael and the rest of the Reapers. She keeps herself at a distance, hoping the lack of any temptation will keep her desire for violence at bay. When outside conflicts begin to weigh on the group, realization Erith has wasted too much time on a fear of intimacy becomes abundantly clear. Erith opening herself up in Dark Alpha's Awakening is something I have been eager to see. It is obvious Erith has been lonely and that Cael was the object of her desire. Seeing them together was deeply gratifying.

Cael has always been my favorite Reaper. Calm and intelligent, Cael leads the Reapers efficiently. Watching members of his team fall in love and mate was hard on him. Convinced he would never have the chance he craved, Cael took solace that doing his job at least allowed him to spend time with Erith. When Erith began to retreat inside her domain, not even seeing Cael, he snaps and demands some answers from Erith. Erith's departure leading to Cael losing self-control is just what the two need to face their desire for each other. And it is well worth the wait.

Outside of the romance is the antagonist Bran. Death and the Reapers are hunting him, after his escape from the prison realm Erith placed him in. The conflict reaches a pinnacle here, one that wraps up some rather significant events. Do not miss this book.

Random spoilery thoughts:

Given the similarities between Erith and Rhi, I wonder if a connection exists on a biological level. But, that is pure speculation on my part.

I want Balladyn to, somehow, not be the epitome of evil. It would be great if he could get redemption, which I believe he is already on his way to obtaining. 

Cael is now just as bada** as Erith. He goes through quite the transformation, one that was pretty fricken cool. I was a bit worried about him through quite a bit of this story. Some genuine tension is present in this novel.

I cannot wait for Rhi to kick the ever loving crap out of Usaeil.

Dark Alpha's Awakening by Donna Grant was given to me by Saint Martin's Press, through NetGalley, for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment