Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Lies That Blind: SpiritBeasts Book 1 by Diane Rose Wilson



Amazon Link

Lies That Blind by Diane Rose Wilson is book one of the Spirit Beast series. Frankie travels from New York to California to attend her Aunt’s funeral. When Frankie inherits all of her Aunt’s assets, everything about her world changes. Meeting Christopher helps her integrate into an existence she never dared believe possible.

Starting this story was difficult. Right out of the gate is an introduction I feared would lead into a love triangle. Then there is a wake with many people to keep track of and decide how to interpret. Admittedly I got a little lost. I now feel this was a brilliant way to inject the reader into the uncertainty Frankie must feel. She doesn’t know these people, who they are or what they mean to each other. Feeling awkward about the exchanges going on, feeling unsure about their interaction with her and between each other. It gives a sense of where she had to be at mentally in that scenario. It was a bit jarring, but I get it. And the love triangle is addressed but is not as bad as I anticipated.

The story roots in an urban fantasy world.  There are hints of it when Lies That Blind begins but, the mystery unwraps as Frankie becomes aware of it. Frankie meets Christopher, and the story starts to come together. First, I admit that I have a dislike for most love at first sight situations. When handled well, it works for me, and here it was. I would call Frankie and Christopher soul mates or something of the like, and it felt genuine. Qualities exist that are unique to this world, making it a nice change from the usual paranormal romances out there. And the author’s way of connecting the reader to the story was very engaging. It was emotionally connecting and fast-paced, an urgent feeling at times when there was conflict building. My tell when things get tense is clenching my fists while reading, with this story I did that. Worth mentioning, it was a carnal tale, and it worked for these characters. The passion between them was raw and visceral, almost palpable. It was appropriate for Frankie and Christopher.

Oh, how I hate novellas. That’s not true I don’t. I have various reason why I prefer a full-length novel, but in this case, I wanted more, so much more. My favorite stories in this genre are those that could stand without the romance built into the plot. Although it would change it some, with this beginning, I would wager Lies That Blind: SpiritBeast book 1 is one of those stories. Highly recommended. I was given the opportunity to read this through NetGalley for my honest opinion. I encourage all readers to reach their own conclusions.

2 comments:

  1. You are in for a treat. I was an apprehensive at first, the entire series is addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to keep going! Makes reading the okay ones worth it when you finally get to a series worth following.

    ReplyDelete