Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Pancake Money by Finn Bell



Amazon Link

Pancake Money by Finn Bell centers on Bobby and Pollo, detectives attempting to solve the savage murder of a priest. Over the course of a few days more grizzly deaths occur, and the detectives face what seems to be an unsolvable case. Pancake Money is highly engaging. Where the story succeeds most for me is when it focuses on the detective's relationships and deductive processes. Worth noting, the entire book takes place in New Zealand. I have never visited New Zealand and was glad to realize this was not a problem. The author delivers the necessary descriptors to paint the background picture with clarity.

The story begins with a gruesome murder as seen through the eyes of the executioner. The scene's perspective seems more about the intimacy of the act then the brutality of it. Despite being brief, this scene is an effective way to set the mood. It consumed me with dread and sadness, although I am still unsure if the sorrow was for the victim, the killer, or both. I experienced a full spectrum of emotion reading this book, and I loved it.

The methodology the characters use to identify the perpetrator is fascinating. Bobby is attending a forensic psychology class throughout the plot. These lectures further foreshadow with topics such as pain motivating individuals to fulfill any task. Throughout this investigation, the detectives examine the reasons that drive a murderer.  Bobby and Pollo discuss which would apply to the killer and why the crimes represent one motivation over the other. Gaining knowledge in the context of the novel made me a part of the examination. I received insights along with the characters by understanding how they were drawing their conclusions.

It is clear from the beginning Bobby and Pollo are close. They respect each other, keep each other safe, spend time with one another's family, and have meaningful interactions. The relevance of the title, Pancake Money, comes from a poignant tale Pollo discloses to Bobby towards the beginning of the story.  Believably in this relationship is a motivational key in the third act. It was necessary to connect them as a family, and I did not doubt this fact at any time.

Being fond of a decent mystery novel I frequently read from this genere. Going in, I hold onto the hope that the book's resolution is not glaringly evident. The big question here is, did I figure out the end before the reveal? The answer is an emphatic no, and for me, that is a huge deal. I consistently try to anticipate the resolution in anything I read. In Pancake Money, the full story was not entirely evident until the crime solver dictated the clues, and solution, at the end. I was then able to pinpoint the evidence referred to and found it entirely believable. It was quite a ride getting there. I would highly recommend Pancake Money to anyone who enjoys a great murder mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment