Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Denied by Cathy Clamp



Anica is charming and good-natured. She is Russian and written with the accent. An approach that lent well to her personality. The introduction to the story was thrilling. The characters being a part of a wildfire fight near their community was intense. The special bond between Anica and the interloper investigating a rash of murders was recognizable and immediately intriguing. A feeling they shared that I recognized could lead to their pairing.

Unfortunately, Denied is a story I was unable to immerse myself in. The number of species the different characters could shift into became too much. Wolf, Owl, Snake, Bear. At the introduction of a Spider, it seemed a little contrived. Perhaps if I introduce myself to the series with the earlier novels, I would feel connected to the character relationships more. Experiencing their pasts might make the current narrative feel less chaotic and disjointed to me. I was never sure what I was supposed to have already known. Some of the backgrounds referred to were unclear to me in the current context.

I will be honest there was a point I began skimming this story, then finally I gave up reading altogether.  I don't necessarily want to discourage one from giving it a try. My opinions are my own, and may not match that of others. If the synopsis appeals, give it a go. NetGalley and Macmillan Tor/Forge books granted me early access to Denied by Cathy Clamp for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment