Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Monday, August 6, 2018

Shadow's Bane by Karen Chance





Update 01/07/2019 I just made my way through the entire Cassie Palmer novels. I have to say, this book is better when you know all of the back story. I also feel the need to say this is one of my favorite ongoing series out there right now. SO glad I decided to read them all!


*********************************************************************************


Shadow's Bane by Karen Chance is the fourth in the Midnight Daughter series. Dhampir Dory is the main protagonist. She is sassy, hilarious and I appreciated seeing this world through her eyes. Dory is on the trail to stop fae slavers while dodging assassins looking to steal her newly appointed Vampire Senate seat. There is exciting action, relationships with a depth of emotion, and Dory's quest to find mental stability. I was hooked immediately.

Urban fantasies that comprise multiple casts of supernaturals tend to be more enjoyable for me. Avoiding species cliches is more likely when all the focus is not on one breed. Shadow's Bane has a variety, all unique and compelling. I haven't seen a dhampir quite like Dory. About halfway through the book, everything started to come together for me. The relationships were clear, and the depth of the threat was fully surfacing. By this point, I had a vested interest in the characters.

Different backstories interject throughout the narrative, serving to help one understand the connecting plot-lines of the characters introduced in prior installments. I appreciate the context, but it became a bit tiresome for me. There was a lot to absorb, stopping midway in a scene to connect all the dots interrupted the flow. I can fill in the blanks and would rather backtrack in a series if I feel it necessary.

Speaking of backtracking, I will now be doing precisely that with the Midnight's Daughter books. Shadow's Bane is what I look for in an urban fantasy series. I received an ARC copy of Shadow's Bane from Netgalley and Berkley Publishing Group for my honest opinion. I encourage all readers to come to their own conclusions.

Amazon Link

No comments:

Post a Comment