Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Stygian by Sherrilyn Kenyon



The Dark-Hunter series is captivating. Intricate crossover plots spread throughout multiple novels. Solving the character's mysteries is a bit obsessive for me, and I revel in the depths these plots contain. Minute details can reveal hidden plot points, often found during rereads I indulge in. I am a big series reader, and this is one worth experiencing. In Stygian, background information is summed up when relevant to the current plot. Most of this happens in the back half of the novel and worth a warning, you will be able to tell where the additional content would be.

Honestly, the Lords of Avalon and Dragon Rising books are among my favorites in the DH world. In Stygian, the drakomai Sarraxyn is a principal character. Knowing some of Urian's past, I admit being unsure how Urian and Xyn could become a couple. They shared space in previous installments with no hint at a relationship. Urian and Xyn's reconnection is handled well, thoroughly convincing me of the lack of recognition previously.

Although enthusiastic about Urian's tale, I admit being leery of it.  Both Acheron and Styxx were arduous for me. Their books rip your heart out, stomp on it, shove it back and start all over again. Tissues are a must. Don't get me wrong, I loved experiencing Acheron and Styxx's journey, but it was a hard ride.  Formatted the same in that we begin with Urian's birth in ancient times, I worried Urian would have an upbringing filled with isolation. Urian does have it rough, but, it was not as tumultuous as I anticipated. Urian felt love and friendship. His family stuck by him. He had friends. He found love, although it was a long ride before they could be together.

In short, Stygian is a fantastic addition to the Dark Hunter world.  All my favorite characters show up in one way or another. One personal thing this book gave to me, is an ability to forgive for a prior misdeed. That scene, in particular, stirred my emotions in a big way. I love Urian and Xyn together. They both deserve someone epic and are well paired because of that. All opinions are my own, and I encourage readers to reach their own conclusions.

Amazon Link

No comments:

Post a Comment