Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Shatter the Earth by Karen Chance

ABOUT THE BOOK

Ironically for the time traveling, chief seer of the supernatural world, time has never been on Cassie Palmer’s side. There has always seemed to be too much to learn, too much to master, and never enough hours in a day. But the tables have now turned, and the fluctuating timelines of Earth and Faerie are diverging, slowing time in Faerie relative to Earth, and giving humans an advantage for the first time in their war with the fey. It is one they desperately need, for a literal war of the worlds is about to take place. To win, or even to survive, Cassie and her allies, the powerful vampire senator Mircea Basarab and the formidable war mage John Pritkin, will have to pull off their greatest feat yet. And find a way to become more than the sum of their parts.


REVIEW


Shatter the Earth is the latest in the remarkable Cassie Palmer series by Karen Chance. I cannot state how much I genuinely enjoy these books. There is wry humor, non-stop action, and steamy romance. After ten full-length novels, various short stories, and spin-off books (see Dorina Basarab), I am extremely invested in the complex characters that drive these books. Vampires, Mages, Fae, Demons, and even mythological Gods weave into the intricate plot in unique ways. Every story consistently utilizes elements that genuinely surprise me, which I absolutely adore. In a genre that frequently possesses the same old same old, I can count on Cassie Palmer to not follow my expected path. When speaking to others about the joy in reading a great urban fantasy/paranormal romance, the Cassie Palmer books by Karen Chance are the first on my list of recommendations.

Random spoilery thoughts: My main comment here is holy crap, that Lover's Knot spell! That is most definitely an excellent pay off for them. I wait impatiently to see where this goes. And boy, I hope Dory does not hold too much of a grudge for how that last battle started. Thank you Karen Chance, for constantly surprising me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment