Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Thursday, November 9, 2017

Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon - Reread




Acheron is part of a book series but works as a stand-alone. Newcomers to the Dark-Hunter world will have no issues with missing information. Acheron keeps his origins a highly guarded secret. This book finally explains what that secret is.

Warning: this book is not for the faint of heart.  The story, especially the first half, has profound suffering and torment of the main character. Those with trigger issues should be cautious. Do things get better for him? Yes, but not for a long time. Is the journey worth it? Yes. Acheron deserves a happily ever after and he finally gets one.

Those not involved in the Dark-Hunter series should still read Styxx after Acheron. Styxx's journey is as heartbreaking - personally, I find it more so - but it expands on some plot points in Acheron. To paraphrase the author: there are three sides to every story. Yours, theirs and the truth that lies somewhere between.

Acheron's story begins 11000 years in the past. At Acheron's birth, a wise woman makes claims that result in his father's eternal hatred and abuse. Through journal entries Ash's older sister Ryssa expresses her love and remorse for the injustice he suffers. Ryssa struggles with her family to keep him from harm, but his mishandling continues.

Acheron and his twin Styxx grow into their late teens. The twins get confirmation of their life force connection mentioned when they were born. Ash is then a forced prisoner in his family's home. Acheron discovers life more bearable when he meets Artemis. He is eventually betrayed, which transforms his existence forever.

Part two of Acheron takes place in present day. Tori believes she has proof that Atlantis is not a myth. Acheron is desperate to keep his Atlantean past a secret and a piece of Tory's discovery puts this in jeopardy. At Tory's presentation of her findings, Acheron sees no choice but to destroy her credibility.

Without the support of her fellow historians, Tory does not give up her quest. She seeks to translate an object found in her dig. When told of a rare historian able to read the ancient text, she again clashes with Acheron. The historian, Acheron, refuses to help her until they have cause to strike a bargain. Tory's life is in danger due to her association with the Atlantis dig. If Acheron helps her translate she agrees to let him stay by her side for protection. Acheron finds himself profoundly drawn to Tory. The more time they spend together, the more he craves love and trust be a part of their relationship.

Acheron's past fits with his personality traits very well. This being is considerate, sacrificing, secretive, insecure and sometimes a bit scary. All things hold true to the preconceived notions. Honestly, the only enjoyment I got from the first part of this book was through understanding. The emotional torment was hard for me at times.

Acheron and Tory interacted well together.  Tory is a bit brazen at times, but I can see how that will be good for Acheron. He is the same way and needs the challenge. They also made me laugh which is important.

The tension was well placed. I thought there was no way they would wind up alive and together by the end of the book. Most the Dark Hunters get their happily ever after. Here, I worried about them.

Tory was a virgin which is a romance trope I am not a fan of. I didn't give it much thought until their big moment together. It started mildly silly, but by the end, it worked. Out of the series, their scene is one that sticks with me. I was affected by Acheron, and frankly, he's not my favorite twin. So the author did something right. There were moments of overkill with the mushiness. Some of it is understandable, but it still gave me pause at times. Acheron needed someone to love him, so I forgive it.

What appeals most to me about the Dark Hunter world is the substantial subplots that carry through the entire series. Sherrilyn Kenyon's stories are intricate and subtle clues span multiple books. As a Dark-Hunter fan, here are some quick snippets of the series arch I enjoyed.

We get insight into Apollymi's struggle and imprisonment. I wonder if she isn't the evil being everyone claims. Powerful and vengeful yes, but I don't blame her for going Destroyer in this case.

I love every scene with Savitar. I always hope for the little things that might uncover more backstory. He's one mystery I have gone over in my head hundreds of times. I even have notes on him. Really.

I relish any time spent with Nick. I do wish he could get over his angst as it is killing me. Finding a friend in the heifer goddess is not an idea I like, at all. Maybe they will make each other better, but now I just don't see it. He has better friends out there I wish he could remember. Or others he could forgive. And maybe forgive himself.

In short, this book is well worth a read. All my opinions are my own and may not match that of others. I encourage all readers to come to their own conclusions.



No comments:

Post a Comment