Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Temptation Trials Part 2 by B Truly



Amazon Link

The Temptation Trials Part 2 by B. Truly continues directly after the events of The Temptation Trials Part 1. Prior knowledge from Part 1 is necessary to feel the story's full impact. Fans of dystopian future, paranormal romance or urban fantasy genre novels could enjoy this series.

In the future, Cali and Stef live in a world devastated by World War III. The new world ruler, Eminence, and his Regime enforcers impose strict rules on the population, including arranged marriage. The age for arranged marriage for Cali and Stef was quickly approaching. They decide to take part in the Temptation Trials to prove the love they share with Cade and Tobias is real, and that Eminence should allow them to stay together. The Trials do not go well for Cali, Cade, Stef, and Tobias.

The couples in the Temptation Trials, as well as those sent by Eminence to tempt the participants, all travel home together. Cali and Stef are unable to share the secrets they learned during the Trials with Cade and Tobias while the Regime is on constant watch. Animosity builds for the characters with the ever-present reminder of unfaithfulness during their Trials. Cali and Stef begin to feel it will be impossible to save their relationships by the time they arrive home. Cali and Stef impart the information they discovered when the group arrives at the Opposition headquarters. The Opp who formed to fight the unfairness of the Regime make plans with Cali, Stef, Cade, and Tobias. Their goal is to make sure Eminence can not cause any more harm with the Temptation Trials.

It was tense anticipating how the group would react to each other, especially with the knowledge the girls had about being drugged on the island. I was hoping they could find a way to communicate their secrets with Cade and Tobias quicker to relieve hostilities. It made sense why they had to guard their information, but it played out too much like a soap opera for me. However, excused or not betrayal is hard to overlook for anyone. Emotions would run high when surrounded by the reminders of another's infidelity. The antagonist created the perfect storm. Frustration distracts the characters so much it prevents them from resolving their problem. It works well. Even as the observer, I felt the impact of it.

The consuming lust during the Trials that is also surfacing with the public is part of a vast problem. I did not expect the spiritual impact this would have on their world, and I enjoyed the shock of it. When things take on a religious undercurrent, I often find it annoying. I typically have no desire to ponder the scripture helping save one's soul. The way religion manifested and blended with the plot here felt natural in an inoffensive way.

I sensed how Stef would end up with one man over the other. The event leading to Stef's resolution lacked necessary emotional impact for me, which it should have caused. I unfortunately just felt it as a plot device, and I resented having that moment taken from me. It could be I just over think the conclusion before it's time. Figuring things out can frustrate me, but I have nothing to blame it on but my analytical mind. This plot point may not affect others as it did me.

Overall Temptation Trials Part 2 wasn't a bad book. I rooted for the characters to find their way back to each other, or at the very least forgive each other. The bad experiences they had fueled their determination to help others and I wanted that for them. The surprises I saw coming balanced with the ones I didn't. I would be willing to give future books set in this world a chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment