Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

The Vampire Fight Club by Larissa Ione





Amazon Link

Vampire Fight Club takes place in the Demonica world and works fine as a stand-alone. This story is good for anyone who enjoys paranormal romances. The series is one of my favorites and reading this short was like visiting old friends. All my opinions are my own and may not match that of others. I urge all readers to come to their own conclusions. I voluntarily received an ARC copy of this book through NetGalley.

For decades Nate has managed club Thirst and finds himself apathetic to the horrors going on around him. He took the job decades ago in hopes of gaining revenge against the club's owner. As time passed, Nate found the opportunity for him to act on those intentions never seemed right. During Vladlena's shift at Underworld General, the staff brings in her victimized brother. Because of this event, Vladlena goes undercover at the club her brother lost his life. With help from her friends at UG, she hopes to bring down the fight club they suspect is running there.

Nate and Vladlena meet and strong feelings manifest immediately between them. These feelings are both a hindrance and the thing that saves them. As their relationship develops, the chemistry between them sizzles. Their attraction feels genuine, and the actions they take reinforces their connection.  I hoped for them to make things work.

In the Demonica world, not all demons are inherently evil. The characters are capable of as much good or bad as anyone is. It intrigues me when the bad guys are harder to find, and this demon trait lends to that. It helps creates tension wondering if everyone will do the right thing. I love this about the Demonica series.

One romance story trope I do not like is using a character's virginity as a plot point. Vladlena has a rare shifter ailment that is threatening her life.  Because of her ailment, she is a virgin. Nate, of course, has to save her from a terrible fate that threatens her solely because of her virginity. I will admit the scenario plays out as good as it can. However, it felt to me like a situation created just to elongate the book. It was already a short story so what is the point? It is highly possible someone who does not have my aversion won't find it bothersome.The only other bad thing I could say is that the story felt a tad rushed.  As previously stated it is a short story so ultimately I can forgive it.  However, I could have spent more time with the characters in a full length novel and been okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment