Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Blood Fury: Black Dagger Legacy 3 by J.R. Ward


Amazon Link

Blood Fury is the third of the Black Dagger Legacy series, a spin-off of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, by J.R. Ward. I found these books at a time when I was going to give up reading vampire paranormal romance novels. I was prepared to give them one last try and be done. Admittedly, I am still wary of the sub-genre, but this series is now one of my favorite paranormal romances. The Black Dagger Brotherhood helps keep the vampire race safe from the Omega and his Lessening Society. The Legacy books deal with the training of the next generation of fighters against this threat.

The focus characters in this novel are Payton, Novo, Saxton, and Rhun. Although feasible one could read this book as a stand-alone, I would not suggest it.  In Blood Fury, the romances develop for the main characters, but each individual has been a part of past storylines, sometimes interacting together. Their bonds will be more fulfilling if you first experience some of their lives.  Personally, I most enjoy series novels when they follow multiple characters over several books.  I feel more invested in them and their relationships this way. Without spoiling any plot points, all I can say is the romance in this book was very satisfying for me.

The development of the characters in Blood Fury was compelling through their good and bad situations. The relationships they formed and actions they took felt natural to my prior conception of who they are as individuals.  A concept throughout the Black Dagger series is with the aristocratic vampires, or glymera, and their rules against socializing with the civilian vampires. There is, however, a good balance between the aristocracy and more open-minded beings uninterested in the glymera's agenda. Every book I read the dry, sarcastic humor makes me laugh out loud.  With the injustices done trying to keep the vampire race segregated, I need that laughter to ease the irritation I feel. Although humor, in general, is an addition I prefer in any book.

Now begins the wait for the next installment in the Black Dagger world. I would highly suggest this series for any who enjoy urban fantasy/ paranormal romance. All opinions are my own and may not match that of others. I encourage all readers to come to their own conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment