Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Consent by Charmaine Pauls



Amazon Link

Consent by Charmaine Pauls is Part 2 of the Loan Shark Duet.  Consent begins with the cliffhanger that Dubious ended on.  For that reason, I would suggest reading Dubious before Consent.

I enjoyed Consent more than I did Dubious. With the first novel, I had a hard time getting past the way Gabriel made Valentina his property. Gabriel's past abuse tainted how he could express love, and Valentina wasn't as much of a prisoner as it seemed, but it still bothered me. In Consent, this changes. Gabriel and Valentina learn of a shared connection from their pasts. Due to this, they get free of his mother's hold over them. Although these past events were a terrible way to gain that freedom, it works to their advantage. The twist was welcome. I also loved the way their story unfolds so that they can be together. Valentina gains control and is no longer at Gabriel's mercy.

Be warned this is a dark romance. There is a strong domination/submission theme in this book. I had slight issues with their story because of Gabriel's possessiveness, but in the end, I thought it turned out beautifully for the couple. I applaud the author for ridding my unease with Valentina's relationship with Gabriel. I recommend giving Dubious and Consent a try.

All opinions are my own and may not match that of others. I encourage readers to come to their own conclusions. I voluntarily received an ARC copy of this book through NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment