Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Monday, January 15, 2018

The Wicked Vampire (Last True Vampire 6) by Kate Baxter





Amazon Link

The Wicked Vampire by Kate Baxter is part 6 of the Last True Vampire series and the first book of this series I have read.  I had no problem following the story line of the main couple.  I could tell, however, a lot of subplots/ background characters present had further plot clarification elsewhere in the series.  This lack of knowledge did cause some minor irritation but could motivate me to start from book one in the series at a later date.

Ewan is a berserker, mortal enemies of the vampire race.  He is attempting to make money in a fighting ring to the death to get free of his ruthless leader.  During a fight, Ewan feels a bond form with Sasha who turns out to be a vampire. The couple must come to terms with their relationship, confront the hatred their races have for each other and decide if they can stay together.

The world building present in this story is quite enjoyable. There are several races of supernatural beings which I appreciate in an urban fantasy/ paranormal romance. It keeps everything from getting stale. I would like to learn more about several of the background characters. I haven't read many stories where a berserker played a prominent role. It was an interesting interpretation of their race.  The mating bond of the vampire was a unique approach I appreciated.

I am partial to forbidden love, and here it was handled well.  There was a great deal of chemistry between them, which made their distrust in each other that much more suspenseful. Ewan could be a little overbearing, but he is a berserker, so it fits. And I tend to enjoy more aggressive males in romance. In the end, everything played out as it should in any HEA novel, but I did like the process of getting there.

All opinions are my own and may not match that of others. I encourage all readers to come to their own conclusions. I voluntarily received an ARC copy of this book through NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment