Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Blade of Darkness by Dianne Duvall



Amazon Link

Blade of Darkness by Dianne Duvall is book 7 of the Immortal Guardians series.  Led by Seth who is the oldest among them, the Guardians defend humanity against those driven violently insane by the same virus that infected the Guardians and gave them their immortality. I ran across these books through the Audible Romance Package on pure luck, and am thankful for it.  I binged all seven books, along with the short stories and prequel Gifted Ones books, in an almost obsessively short amount of time. You could read Blade of Darkness as a standalone, but as always I advocate against it. This series especially there is a deep connection between the characters that enhance the enjoyment if you know them all.

In Blade of Darkness, Immortal Guardian Aidan has recently transferred hoping to ease the loneliness he has faced for the past 3000 years. A stronger threat has emerged and is trying to bring down the Immortal Guardian's, making Aidan a direct target for elimination. Out of the series, Aidan's was one of my favorites.  There was a tense misdirection at play throughout Aidan's story, and visions from Aidan's lover Dana greatly exacerbated it. Aidan is forced to put enormous faith in his Immortal family at a time it seems they have no reason to back him. I appreciate when reading a series, you can't take for granted that in the end, everyone will come away from the conflict unscathed. Ramifications are necessary for me to hold onto my suspension of disbelief. I felt there are real things at stake for the Immortal Guardian group in Blade of Darkness.

This series is a stand out among the urban fantasy, paranormal romance genres. I would not hesitate to recommend Blade of Darkness, and the Immortal Guardians series as a must read.  The urban fantasy elements are a great mix of action, mystery/thriller, and comedy.  From the question surrounding Seth's true origins to the hilarious, snarky attitudes of some of the Guardians and their seconds, those who help the Guardians complete their daily duties, I readily admit it is great fun for me. The paranormal romance aspects of it are a great addition, but not at all what holds the stories together. But when the romance takes a front seat in the narrative, it is well worth experiencing, and insta-love is rare which I appreciate. I have added Dianne Duvall to all of my follow lists and eagerly await the next Immortal Guardian installment. All opinions are mine and may not be identical to others. I urge all readers to come to their own conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment