Goodreads Currently Reading

Valerie's bookshelf: currently-reading

Nevermore
tagged: currently-reading
Dark Alpha's Awakening
tagged: currently-reading
The Fox
tagged: currently-reading
The Burglar
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Bring Me Back by B.A. Paris



Barnes and Noble Link

Bring Me back begins over a decade after Finn's girlfriend Layla went missing from a rest stop after the couple came home from a weekend trip. Finn was hopelessly in love with Layla and her disappearance affected him deeply. After meeting Layla's sister Ellen, who was opposite from Layla in every way, he got to a place where he could love again and eventually proposed marriage to Ellen. Shortly after the marriage announcement, things begin to happen that makes Ellen and Finn believe that Layla is secretly trying to sneak back into their lives.

This book strongly captivated me from the beginning. The chapters are short, so the flow is quick. The way the focus flips back and forth in part one from past to present events it keeps the intrigue up. I had a hard time putting the book down. Finn eventually begins to descend into a type of madness. Unsure if Layla is behind the events plaguing him, or if in fact, he can rid himself of Ellen, Finn secludes himself and bogs himself down with worry. I was sympathetic with Finn, albeit a little frustrated. Secrecy was probably one of the worst things he could have done, but as a third party observer, it is always easy to draw those conclusions.

For me an enjoyable mystery/ thriller gives me hints about the events without being too overt with it. I can't help but spend my time trying to figure out the end game. Bring Me Back was no exception. The plot gives just enough to think I figured it out. Then other feasible scenarios come to light and supply the doubt to consider alternate theories. The formula works very well.

The ending is where I had a problem. Although, problem may not be the correct word, but I was not a fan. I don't want to give too much away, and in all reality, it probably would not have been a happily ever after no matter what at its conclusion. I did, however, hate what happened to Finn. It made me feel terrible for him, and Ellen, and Layla. In no way would the ending prevent me from recommending this book. Just do not expect Bring Me Back to have any sunshine or rainbows at its conclusion. This book was given to me by Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for my honest opinion. My opinion may not be that of others, and I encourage all readers to come to their own conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment